Description

Non-affiliated, Non-lengthy, Non-articles about Transformers

Sunday 2 March 2014

New Arrivals

Matsushiro painted-wing symbol variant G1 Jetfire

What better way to launch a Transformers blog than with a G1 Jetfire? Since there doesn't have to be a theme or any real reason for my making posts here, it can be as basic and fundamentally linked to one of the best parts of a toy-collecting hobby as possible; the actual buying and receiving of new Transformers and toys!



The problem is, in my current situation, this is going to be a rare occurrence. After selling off a depressingly large chunk of my vintage G1 variant and Diaclone collection recently in the hopes of saving up for a property this century (ongoing), I caved on one of those deals and accepted a partial trade whereby the recipient of my gorgeous old G1 Mexican Prowl MIB would send me a Matsushiro Jetfire unused as well as a certain amount of cash. 

Stickersheet + extra stickersheet!

What made this extra special was the fact that the toy was so untouched, it was still taped in place and not in the slightest discoloured. This painted-wing symbol Jetfire, sporting the Macross UN Spacy logo on the left wing, also comes with an extra separate small sticker sheet whose labels were later absorbed into the larger 4-piece sheet for subsequent Bandai versions of the Transformers G1 Jetfire. No missiles/bullets with this edition though, I just learned today that those seem to appear with pre-rub Canadian Jetfires more often than not. How about that, eh?!

No plans to take it out and check the antennae. Yet.

Anyway, sticking with Macross...

Macross 1/55 scale VF-1A Cannon Fodder/Mass Production/"Brown one"

Brown Jetfire - we're all thinking it...

...I have a little side project I've been cultivating since Christmas. The kind of 'side project' that becomes entirely obsessive and relegates everything else (including the day job) to the status of actual side projects. Self-enabling at its best here, I wrote about non-Takara pre-Transformers for TFSource HERE and ended up looking down the barrel of full-on Macross completion disease. The above stunner is the latest addition in that endeavour, and for once a vintage Macross figure did not show clear signs of age. Really tight, a beautiful peach-coloured box and about as far removed from Jetfire's colour scheme as you'd want, it's the VF-1A brown Cannon Fodder/Mass Production Battroid Valkyrie. To someone like me who comes to Macross from Transformers, this toy line is a voyage into the Rainbow Of Jetfires. I'll mention this project more in future. Repeatedly.

Mexican Iga "Tailgate" - yellow version + cardback

Really just a yellow and blue Mexican Windcharger

Next up, in a now-most-uncommon purple patch of new arrivals, is a free gift from a collector buddy in Holland. Having helped my friend - indirectly - secure his holy grail of a Milton Bradley Sunstreaker-in-Sideswipe-packaging ("Sunswipe"), he duly repaid me in kindness by sending me something terribly special, the above Mexican variant yellow and blue Windcharger. This is the third one of these I have owned, and this one actually comes with its cardback in great shape! Virtually no chrome or paint or sticker wear, a real keeper I hope. You can see that Plasticos Iga intended for this to be "Tailgate". More on this variant's story HERE for anyone interested. I also adore the fact that it has the original price sticker. As long as these are not obscuring the robot face on the box artwork, I'm always happy to have them on my collection boxes. They're a proper window into the past and one day someone's going to do a comprehensive vintage price archive. Stop looking at me.

Finally, the brand new Takara Tomy MP-12G, Masterpiece Sideswipe "Lambor" G2 version:

Takara Tomy MP-12G Masterpiece Lambor - G2 version

Derek Yaniger and the G2 comic are two things that didn't mean anything to me, but apparently strike a significant chord with those who read said comic and were first to pre-order this guy when they saw the growl he has moulded into his face, to say nothing of that arsenal! I must admit I caved for two reasons: 1) To see how good and reliable Anime Export really were (lots of UK collectors were singing their praises) and 2) It's a Masterpiece black Lamborghini Countach. I mean, come on. It's also worth noting that one of the best TF comics of recent times, IDW's Death Of Optimus Prime, has SIdeswipe shown in this configuration. I still haven't decided whether to keep this G2 Sideswipe Masterpiece or not, though, so it remains sealed in package in case I decide to move it along. This picture, and my collecting OCD, make it very hard to decide:

Masterpiece Cybertron cars so far

Apart from one more reissue Macross 1/55 Valkyrie that's for me, and one more 'something-rather-exciting' that I doubt I'll be keeping, that might well be it for toy purchases looking at the next 2 months. You never know though, stopping collecting when you don't want to is a new one for me, I've always been able to halt my purchasing of toys easily as I've wanted to give up in the past. We'll see, eh?

Please don't yellow


All the best
Maz


8 comments:

  1. You can always "re-purpose" G2 Lamb or as a pseudo-MP Diaclone if you choose to open him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colbey, I was really glad to see they left so much on the stickersheet to allow for display as a near-Diaclone. There's a bit too much red on it to get away from the G2 look, and then there's the face :) It's growing on me though, moreso than Smokescreen, and I haven't even unsealed it yet!

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
    2. i can't stand the growl... which is perhaps the main reason I'm avoiding this..... for now... don't know how long I can hold out.

      Delete
    3. I have a great idea for the growl, why don't people swap heads with MP Red Alert? That way, Red can have a growl of anguish as he suffers a la "Auto Berserk", and G2 Swipe can have a calm vanilla face :)

      This is buggered however by the fact that the head moulds are different and so the crazy blue flashy ears that MP Alert comes with won;t sit on G2 Swipe's growly head. Damn shame.

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
  2. Cool article Maz!

    As someone who has enjoyed your writing for a while now, it would be most remiss of me not to mention that I have my G2 Swipe flanked by MP Bluestreak and Animated Blurr, with Tigertrack, Prowl, Red Alert, Smokescreen, HA Barricade, and Alt. Dead End all in close proximity (it's my top-level car-bots shelf)....and G2 Swipe's the most vivid and eye-catching of the lot!

    Just sayin'.....

    .....go on, open it, you know you want to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No enabling on here! It's supposed to be a safe haven haha!

      Sounds like a damn nice shelf mate, almost perfect in fact. I'm sure I will cave on G2 Swipe, I'm really bad around sealed toys...

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
  3. oh yeah, Jetfire to start a blog, that's awesome. Very nice Jetfire and Valkyries... yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha only way to start a blog, right? Maybe every post should start with a Jetfire.

      Also, I can share my Valk obsession here free of constraint :)

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete