Description

Non-affiliated, Non-lengthy, Non-articles about Transformers

Friday 7 March 2014

Diaclone 'Black Skids' Quickie



Welcome to the first of many 'Quickies', extremely short looks at various toys I've had the pleasure of owning over the last few years that are a little different or more interesting than the norm. Few pictures, few words, true to this blog's claim of sticking to non-lengthy non-articles. First up, it's the Japanese Diaclone "No.9 Honda City Turbo" in black - or to Transformers collectors - "Black Skids".


Black Skids - pic courtesy of Ben Munn

This was the second of the Diaclone Honda releases, the first one - No.6 Honda City R/S - having the exclusive mouth plate (until reissue Crosscut), but this No.9 City Turbo is the mould that the Transformers Skids hails from. The first release of this toy as a Diaclone was black (hence the black box artwork on the packaging for all No. 9s), was released circa February 1983, came with a black Motocampo scooter and the Diaclone driver, not to mention two chrome guns that attach to his arms, and a missile launcher with a black launching tab. All these black accessories make Diaclone Black Skids one of the absolute hardest Diaclone toys to complete if found missing its bits. That's to say nothing about its general status as one of the top 3 toughest Diaclone car variants to find. 

Complex wheel hubs and Diaclone side stickers

Other distinguishing features include more complex wheel hubs than Transformers Skids has, and the pre-TF orange and yellow factory stripes down the side, unlike the white and red of TF Skids factory stickers. In the last couple of years I've seen more Black Skids than ever before, and a couple of them even had simple wheel hubs, which was previously thought to only be the domain of the red and blue Honda City Turbo pre-Skids toys.

The translucent blue really pops

This version of the toy was never reissued, and it's decisions like that which make me constantly doubt Takara's respect for and even knowledge of their own back catalogue and history. There was a wonderful opportunity for them to reissue the black and red City Turbos alongside TF Collection Skids, but it never happened. Years later we got movie-coloured G1 Skids and Mudflap figures, a nice try, but ultimately pointless.

I found this Black Skids in China for less than $70 shipped and decided to try out a Chinese bidding service, figuring it was worth the risk. I had been away from the hobby for years and suspected that many had surfaced, explaining the low price - it was probably not even worth what I was paying and generally unwanted in such incomplete condition. Well, I was dead wrong, it remains a tremendously sought-after and rare figure from Diaclone, and my purchase stands as one of the best finds I've ever made. I recently sold this item with its box and paperwork but no accessories for four figures. I suspect that's what it will take to separate any collector from a Black City Turbo, it really is that nice.

See? Quickie

All the best
Maz


10 comments:

  1. This is why I love reading this blog and your blog at TFSource. The looks at the rarities is just priceless. I'll never own anything like this since I'm focusing on G1 as far as vintage goes, but it's essential that I know about figures like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! I hope that's what the blog here will be, short looks at stuff like this that doesn't require people to put aside half an hour to wade through 2000 words of text like the TFSource or TF-1 stuff I write :)


      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love that little scooter! Amazing how little gimmicks like that can really add a lot. I'm guessing that the Diaclone driver does fit on the scooter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed, that tab you see on the seat of the scooter should help secure the Diaclone driver on it (goes between the legs...ahem)

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
    2. That feature reminds me of the cyclone motorcycles from robotech and mospeada. How cool would that be to have a transformable jet fighter a la jetfire or an alpha fighter and then to have a transformable motorcycle stored inside as well? I loved thinkIng anout that as a kid and it still sounds awesome as an adult!

      Delete
  3. I just happened to spot a beautiful Diaclone black Skids today at Nakano Broadway. I had no idea of its significance until I read this article while sitting in a Starbucks. Thanks for sharing all you've discovered through these brilliant articles. Your writings are always the most useful around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow thank you so much, that's greatly appreciated! Would you mind if I asked how much the Black Honda Turbo was in Nakano Broadway?

      Delete
  4. There was a note stating 'The items without a price will be put on sale from March 1st'. Unfortunately my Japan trip ended on the 26th. There was the Turbo of course, and they also had a red 4WD Wrecker, and a Lancia Stratos. They'd only just turned up in the front showcase, I'd visited about a week earlier. To give a ballpark, they had another Lancia Stratos in the back showcase that was rough looking, going for JPY 100000 + tax. I follow you on FB so I'll shoot you some pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Nothing currently I'm afraid, I just have a red City R with launcher. Not much to say about it or photograph yet.

      Delete