Description

Non-affiliated, Non-lengthy, Non-articles about Transformers

Monday 26 May 2014

TF Animated Sentinel Prime Quickie

  


It's been almost 6 years since I last bought a Transformers Animated toy, but this week the deluxe Sentinel Prime that arrived reminded me once and for all just how much I love this toy line. Just recently I caught up with all the season 2 and season 3 episodes I missed, and the depth of writing, characterisation and story in the series marks it out as probably the best Transformers show I've ever seen. Sentinel Prime himself, the celebrated jerk that he is, does not disappoint.


TF Animated deluxe Sentinel Prime

As I have come to expect from TF Animated toys, the figure is hugely show accurate and oozes character, personality and charm. For a millisecond I considered keeping it sealed, but the cheap sale price of £5.99 means that I'd derive far more enjoyment from opening it versus consideration of cost. Anyway, I've never been able to properly enjoy sealed toys.


Weapons attached as when sealed



While Sentinel's character in the show has a few comedy moments in vehicle mode, there's only one way to display this toy and that's as the unforgettable Elite Guard jackass of the show. Having said that, his vehicle mode is lovely, chunky and the transformation is one of the most repeatable, simple and satisfying of all the Animated toys I've ever owned. Certainly beats Bumblebee, Ratchet, Soundwave and Prowl in my opinion. Maybe only Jazz stands above.



The holier-than-thou second in command to Autobot leader Ultra Magnus looks every bit himself in robot mode. His entire top-heavy physique just adds to his big-headed and pompous character. Forearm articulation is limited, but the shoulders are quite versatile. Legs aren't bad and generally support his weight. The winning scowl and energy sword/shield are what make the bot mode.




I remarked recently that I finally clicked and realised who Sentinel Prime reminded me of, the animated version of The Tick! It was then that UK Transformers artist and collector Dan Ghile told me that Sentinel Prime character was influenced by voice actor Townsend Coleman, the voice of the animated Tick, and of course the voice of Sentinel Prime in Transformers Animated! It's that kind of extra mile and geeky box-tickery that makes this series and its toys so wonderful, unforgettable and unique in Transformers history.

Spoon!


What a chin, what a head sculpt, and what a fantastic deluxe class toy. I am completely on board with more Animated purchases now, specifically the ones I never experienced first time out. Things like Blurr, Ultra Magnus, Cybertronian mode Ratchet, Arcee, Lockdown, Rodimus etc. At some point all the ones I sold will have to be reacquired. For now, I'm happy to keep this leisurely and enjoy Sentinel on his own for a while before thinking about wandering that road again. I still haven't bloody bought Leo Dux. But someone else did get opened finally...




And something else on the way...


All the best
Maz




No comments:

Post a Comment