Description

Non-affiliated, Non-lengthy, Non-articles about Transformers

Wednesday 6 December 2017

Sellers Stealing Images


I've noticed a lot of eBay sellers no longer bother to take photographs of the actual items they are selling nowadays, which surprises me considering how easy apps like eBay Mobile make the process of adding images to auctions. It could also be because there are so many good TF photographers around now, it's easier to pilfer images.


The thing is, I don't always mind helping people out with images for their blogs or sales, but I care when folks don't ask permission. Even moreso when they then try to claim some kind of entitlement based on "It's the Internet" or the age of the photograph. The owner of the image retains the copyright indefinitely, it does not expire.

Don't be someone who will then get called out for bad and thieving practices online, because this is a small community with a long memory. Also, don't drag someone else's name, brand and integrity into your transaction because you were too lazy to take a picture. And most of all, don't be the prick who cuts off the watermark because you KNOW that you are stealing the picture and wish to eliminate credit or backlash.

All the best
Maz


16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Formatting when horribly squiffy.

      I entirely agree with the post, but who is that in the pictures?

      Delete
  2. Wow, I haven’t noticed this. You are right though that it sucks. Just ask for permission for Pete’s sake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the permission thing never crosses people's minds, they feel as it is online it is for free use and they are entitled.

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
  3. I've been on the receiving end of this, myself. Needless to say it was odd scrolling through eBay one day and notice a picture that seemed oddly familiar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see it everywhere, all the time. Sixo's pics, my pics, lots of recognised pics etc.

      I just got a reply from VeRo, though, so fingers crossed once I am registered it will be easier to tear the picture thieves down every time.

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry Maz, but you are not the best at replying to messages, on Twitter, on TFW boards. Are you saying you definitely would reply to a message about using your images, but do ignore some other messages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reply to messages wherever I see them, be it TFW, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, hotmail, Gmail, TF-1 mail and so on.

      There's quite a lot to keep track of, so if I've missed a message somewhere, that's to be expected. Also if someone is on my ignore/block list, I never get to see their questions.

      However, if I don't reply, that does not give someone permission to use my work without getting confirmation from me. It just means they didn't get a response (for whatever reason), so they have to look elsewhere.

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
  5. I barely know Maz and he answers my tweets and Facebook messages.

    If you don't have permission to use his images you don't get it by default if he's too busy to answer anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, absolutely right too!

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete
  6. Right on man. I can totally appreciate people wanting to use your (or sixos) photos cos let's be honest, they sell bots in their own!

    Doing it without permission is theft, plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If your picture is being used then the person using it has to pay you, so bill them. If it's on Ebay then report the item with a copyright claim and shut the auction down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did exactly that. Registered with that form/service they have for reporting infringement and they took the auction down.

      All the best
      Maz

      Delete